A Christian Ministry in the National Parks is one of the BEST ways to apply your theological education to practical life ministry while growing in pastoral and worship leadership skills!
- Full-time enrolled, current, or graduating Masters-level students in a seminary or divinity school program
- Mature baptized followers of Jesus Christ
- Can affirm the Apostle’s Creed as a common statement of faith
- Appreciation for the breadth and diversity of the Christian church
- Ability to cooperate with people from different faiths, backgrounds, and cultures
- Summer availability of 90-120 days, through August 20th or later (as close to Labor Day as possible)
Leadership Immersion Program
Since 1951, ACMNP has been training and preparing ministry leaders for the local and global missional church. Our bi-vocational program is a unique, creative opportunity to be employed full-time alongside those who are looking for spiritual direction and to lead worship in an interdenominational context. As ministry team leaders, we are essentially asking you to guide the other ministry team members in your respective location as you serve the people who live, work, and vacation in the national parks.
Ministry Team Leader Responsibilities
- Initiate and coordinate weekly team meetings
- Develop and maintain healthy and positive relationships with all team members
- Establish rapport with and liaison between the Ministry Support Committee, local concessionaires, National Park Service, and the ACMNP National Office
- Participate in all components of worship services:
- Initiate and organize all park-approved advertising and publicity of ministry activities
- Encourage connections with international workers and other employees
- Submit offering gifts, contributions record, and guestbook sheets to the National Office bimonthly
- Offer pastoral care as needed, including crisis intervention or leading memorial services
If required for seminary credit, students will be paired with an approved, ordained mentor prior to their park arrival. Students and mentors will meet as needed to explore the student’s goals for the summer immersion.
- Worship leadership
- Pastoral listening and counseling
- Cross-cultural communication
- Staff management
- Conflict resolution and crisis intervention
- Church administration and financial accountability
- Appreciation for creation care issues and environmental theology
Earning Seminary Credit
Most seminaries that require short-term practicums or practical ministry opportunities endorse the ACMNP experience as an integral learning internship. It is your responsibility to check with your Field Education, Contextual Learning, Mentored Ministry, or Cross-Cultural Internship office to know their specific guidelines and requirements for earning school credit. ACMNP will work with each student to help them qualify for whatever units of credit may be available.
ACMNP will grant a $1,500 scholarship to any seminarian enrolled full-time who completes a full season of ministry and employment in the parks. The amount increases to $2,500 for seminarians who serve for two or more seasons.
(Other locations are also available if a mentor is not required.)
- Acadia National Park, ME
- Denali National Park, AK
- Glacier National Park, MT
- Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve, AK
- Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
- Great Smoky Mountain National Park, TN
- Mount Rainier National Park, WA
- Olympic National Park, WA
- Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
- Yellowstone National Park, MT
- Yosemite National Park, CA